I know what you’re thinking, depression is generally considered a disease not a gift but I’m here to tell you that a gift is exactly what I have found depression can be if you choose to look at it that way and that no matter how bad your depression is you can use these steps to help it be that way for you too. (This doesn't mean you can go off your medication.)

Getting Past Overwhelmed



Have you ever had a mess that you knew you needed to clean but it just seemed SO BIG that you didn't even know where to start? I was cleaning my house and thinking about how I tackle that and how it compares to how I tackle my depression. I've always been one of those people who is either super organized or a complete mess. I tend to clean in spurts, my house will stay pretty clean for a while and then I'll get lax and it turns into a HUGE mess practically overnight and it stays that way until I've finally had enough and decide to tackle it head on.



So when I tackle cleaning I always take a few minutes to plan out how I'm going to do it first, like when I cleaned the other day I first got some baskets and went around each room picking everything up and putting it in a basket, the bigger my mess the more baskets I need, once I had everything picked up I could put it all away in one or two trips and then I took care of all the trash, I always have to pick up trash twice if I start with the trash, then I'm ready to wipe, dust and vacuum and I'm done. In the kitchen it's the same thing only I add dishes in between picking up and wipe, dust, sweep, mop.

So what I'm getting at is that my steps for tackling depression are really the same thing, I start off with thinking about where I am and where I want to be and then I take the steps one at a time to get me there. Depression is by definition overwhelming, or you wouldn't be depressed but I know I can find my way through it if I take it one step at a time, even if it's only 5 minutes at a time.

If you'd like a website that helps t get you moving one step at a time with cleaning, exercising, cooking, etc. check out Flylady.net she has lots of great tips and tools for cleaning and links to other great stuff to help put you and your home back in order. Look on the left for the link to her baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment