I know what you’re thinking, depression is generally considered a disease not a gift but I’m here to tell you that a gift is exactly what I have found depression can be if you choose to look at it that way and that no matter how bad your depression is you can use these steps to help it be that way for you too. (This doesn't mean you can go off your medication.)

15 Minute Holidays (Self-Care)

Here are just a few things you can do for self care in 15 min. or less.
I'll add to this list from time to time. Hopefully this will also get you thinking about things you can do in a short time frame. What do you like to do when you only have a few minutes?


Mini Manicure/Pedicure:
*get a file, cuticle pusher,(scented)cuticle oil, buffer, clear polish.
*file any snags or uneven nails, apply oil, gently push back your cuticles (you shouldn't ever have to trim them if you keep pushing them back), buff nails and apply polish. This should only take about 5 min. then allow yourself a few min. to relax while the polish dries. Your hands/feet look and feel better and you do to.

Accupressure or Massage:
*get a card for accupressure points for your hands, feet and/or
ears. (opt.)
*pick what you want to concentrate on and rub that spot with a scented oil or lotion that you love and massage for 1-2 min. and then just massage the whole area for a total time of about 5-10 min. If you set a timer so that you don't have to keep track of the time, you'd be surprised how long that 5 min. can seem and how rejuvenating such a small thing can be.

Aromatherapy Meditation:
*pick a picture or word or phrase to meditate on. (I prefer a picture because then I can imagine myself there.)
*pick a scent that is either relaxing or energizing for you that you associate with what you've picked to meditate on.
*find a quiet spot, even if you have to sit in your car or bathroom, and rub the scent on your temples, wrists and breast bone.
*meditate on your chosen pic, word or phrase. If you have chosen a pic. imagine yourself inside that picture, enjoying the scenery, going for a walk or just staying put in this beautiful place. If you chose a word or phrase imagine that word or phrase becoming a part of you and filling you with the strength or energy inherent within it.
This should take you 5 to 15 min. If you want to be sure that you stop within a certain time then set a timer that isn't too intrusive but will remind you when to come back to your surroundings. (I use my cell phone and just put it on silent so that all I hear is some buzzing from my purse.)

Coloring:
I know it may sound juvenile but I find coloring to be very relaxing, I don't have to think about what to make and it doesn't matter what it looks like when I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. Okay - I totally agree on the coloring. I do appreciate the chance to just totally veg out! Also - I could definitely use a mini-mani!!!

    ReplyDelete